The European video game industry is worth €20bn.
Video games represent one of Europe’s most compelling economic success stories, and a rapidly growing segment of its creative industries. The size of the European video games industry was €20 billion in 2017 and is projected to reach €22 billion by 2020 according to Global News Wire.
- 15%15% growth in 2018 in the main European markets of UK, France, Germany and Spain.
- 47%Consoles ecosystems represent 47% of industry revenue.
- 75%Driver of the app economy: 75% of all consumer spend and downloads are games.
- 395 million395 million people watch esports, which experienced 18% growth since 2017.
- 44%Mobile gaming is expected to represent 44% of the industry’s growth in 2019.
- 2,000In 2018 only, around 2,000 physical games were released on consoles and handhelds.
Europe is the home of some of the largest trade shows across the world.
Trade shows across Europe allow the video games ecosystem to meet, interact and discuss the latest innovations and trends in games, and to discover and reveal upcoming releases for their licenses. Europe is the home of many of the largest trade events in the world. Some of the largest trade fairs worldwide are organised on a yearly basis, some of them attracting over 300,000 visitors.